Wax On!

 
Could do this all the live long day (--but won't in the interest of Time.) Made a few paper flowers and planted them along the foreground fence set. The preserved tea tree branches didn't hold their color and were repainted after all, but they did hold their leaves? so, they were a half-fail?
After making the blossoms and foliage I used pure beeswax, melted in a measuring cup inside an art saucepan (then kept warm on a mug warmer), and brushed it onto each petal and leaf. I was hoping it would turn the crepe paper more translucent, like resin does, but the finish is still interesting and seems will keep their shape better than without it.

Would love to add more flowers. It's enjoyable. But sometimes leaving elements a bit underdone is better for the project overall. Pencils down.

Happy Spring!

Comments

  1. "But sometimes leaving elements a bit underdone is better for the project overall." Tell us more about this! Halfland seems exquisite in its details: how do you determine what details should be underdone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! Fantastic question, gl! Thanks for asking. I meant it in the sense that if I go to the enth degree in every aspect of the film then it may never get to be made. So cutting corners where I can will help get to shooting it. And that sometimes working on detail until I'm satisfied means the results are overworked and too fussy.

      If I were making Halfland like a normal entertainment product I wouldn't build out everything. Instead I would only build what is needed for each shot. But this is something else and I can't even know the shots I'll want ahead of shooting.

      So three reasons to "under do":
      1. Time
      2. Finished vs. Fussy
      3. Needing to Flesh Everything Out, as not able to plan each shot in advance (refer back to item 1.)

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment